Tuesday 16 July 2013

Our modest swimming dresses!

It finally feels like summer. Yay! So my sister and I where able to wear the swimming costumes I made for us back in early spring. The basic pattern is one that I made myself but I adapted it and added in extra detail to make them look a bit more interesting and different. It was hard to work out how wide our skirts need to  allow for movement but also for them not to be to clingy when wet. In the end I got the balance right and the end results can be seen bellow.
(if you're wondering what's going on in this picture, my sister and I came up with this crazy invention, involving a skipping rope, because we don't have any slopes in our back garden and so for the water slide to work we pulled each other along with a skipping rope)

For my dress I added a little black belt, for the waist, and embellished it with a little blue flower. I felt that the material was already very bold and so didn't require any more decoration.

For my sisters costume I used a pale purple, which gave me loads of options when it came to decorating it. I used a pink pokadot material for the sash, which was sewn on when attaching the upper half to the lower half, and I used the same material for the slits at the side, to allow movement.
We both wore our black swimming costumes beneath, as I didn't make any matching bikini to go underneath the dresses. It also created an extra bit of security in case the materials became see through when wet; luckily neither did.
(As you may have noticed I don't put my face or my sisters face on the internet, hence the hearts)
I hope this inspired you!

No comments:

Post a Comment