Thursday 29 October 2015

My cousin's Headbands

I made these headbands for my cousin's birthday and I swear I'm in love, I could have easily made 10 or more of these, as they are just so easy to make.
My original inspiration come from the book "half a yard heaven" by Debbie Shore. However I was unsure if the headband that I first made would fit my cousin, so I sort of started making up my own pattern.
So today I'm going to share with you how I made the last two head bands. They're so simple and easy that you'll be making loads of them out of your scrap material.

You will need:

  • Ribbon (two lengths measuring 13-14 inches)
  • A rectangle of fabric (as wide as you like, mine were between 5 and 7 inches wide, but roughly 11 inches long)
  • A needle and thread

Method:

  1. Take your rectangle of fabric and sew the two 11 inches long sides together, right sides facing.
  2. Turn the long tube inside out, so that the patterned side of your fabric is showing.
  3. Place the seam in the middle of the tube and flatten by ironing. 
  4. Next, take one length of ribbon and place the shortest side on top of the shortest raw edge of the tube, with the rest of the ribbon running along the length of the tube. 
  5. Now fold the top of the tube into two right angles, with the straight sides covering up the ribbon.
  6. Then sew along the sides covering up the ribbon and turn inside out. Your fabric should now be hiding the joining seam of the ribbon and tube. 
  7. Repeat the last 3 steps on the other side of the tube.
  8. You now have your basic headband, decorate as you please and you're finished.

Sadly I forgot to take photos during the making of these headbands but leave a message in the comments section if any part of this is unclear and I'll see if I can help.
As always, I hope this has inspired you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment